Mar
6

So you Judge Livestock?

Zach Bartenslager

Lewisburg, West Virginia

Community Leadership with Specialization in Extension Education

Zach Bar

Zach (pictured bottom left) with the OSU Livestock Judging Team.

I am currently a member on the 2014 Ohio State Livestock Judging Team. There are eight members of our team including: Levi Criswell, Tonya Fender, Megan Hunker, Jake Ruffing, Cody Shafer, Courtney Tarvin, Lydia Ulry, and myself. Also, two great coaches lead us: Kyle Culp (Head Coach) and Emily Limes (Assistant Coach). We have now been to two different contests. Our first outing was to Denver, Colorado where we were 7th as a team in the National Western Stock Show judging contest, and 4th overall in the carload contest. Our team has just returned back from Jackson, Mississippi where we competed in the Dixie National Judging Contest. There we ended up being reserve overall team! We are very excited for the rest of the year.

As you can see, there are ten of us riding in a school van together. You can also tell that we do not normally just go on short trips. So, as you might guess an 18-hour trip out to Denver tucked in a 12-passenger van (with luggage) can be rather packed. Although it may sound very testing at times, I would not trade it for the world. Driving across the country looking at great livestock, while making memories with some of your best friends isn’t such a bad thing. This team has been a great experience thus far, and I am proud to be a part of it. Sure, it is not all glory, as it takes a lot of work and dedication. However, I cannot think of another way to spend my extra time here at The Ohio State University.