Jan
28

London Calling

Kenzi Hannum

Worthington, Ohio

Food Sciencelondon_blog

I never believed that I would ever be able to say that I have stood on top of Charles Darwin’s body. Yet that is no longer the case.  I recently participated in the London Honors Study Abroad Program and hands down it was one of the greatest experiences of my life.

Growing up in a small suburb outside a big city in Ohio, my family is the type of people who drive everywhere.  It wasn’t until a couple years back where I flew on my first plane ride, least to say I’ve never been out of the country until my recent trip to London.

Frankly there are an enormous amount of similarities between London and America that I constantly kept finding myself forgetting that I was all the way across the Atlantic Ocean with a six hour time difference. Yet the biggest difference is the depth of history that London has versus America.  The Tower of London was one of the coolest tours we went on.  It is hard to believe that the towers are one thousand years old let alone all the queens we read about growing up were beheaded on the same exact towers, especially when the Tower of London is in the middle of a bunch of office buildings.

Visiting London allowed me to experience the world outside of America, the opportunity to see things I would have never think to experience and for that I will forever cherish all the memories made.